Collection of information
Personal and sensitive information is only collected as is reasonably necessary for a function or activity to enable the Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation to maintain its activities and deliver services to the community.
Personal information about an individual will only be collected from that individual with their consent.
Collection will be undertaken by a method that is fair, lawful and not unreasonably intrusive.
Individuals from whom personal information is collected, are to be made aware of:
- The Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation contact details
- The primary purpose for which the information is collected
- Any possible secondary purpose for which the information may be used
- The ability of individuals to access the information held on themselves
Use and Disclosure of Information
Information will only be used or disclosed for the primary purpose for which it was collected. In some instances, information provided by individuals may be used to keep them better informed about the Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation activities and services, such as by way of a newsletter. Individuals will have the right to opt out of receiving such additional mailings. Personal information about an individual will not be used or disclosed for a secondary purpose unless:
- The purpose is closely related to the primary purpose and the individual would reasonably expect the information to be used in that way, or
- The individual has consented (recognising the competence to consent), or
- The Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation has a legal obligation to disclose personal information which overrides the provisions of the primary legislation
The Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation will not sell or exchange or release personal information about an individual for commercial gain.
Quality of information
Reasonable steps will be taken to ensure information collected and used is complete, accurate and up to date.
Security of Information
Reasonable steps will be taken to protect personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised use, modification or disclosure.
Personal information will be destroyed or permanently de-identified when it is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was collected.
The Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation website contains links to other websites. The Royal Melbourne Hospital Foundation does not accept responsibility for the privacy practices or the content of linked websites.
Openness of Information
Reasonable steps will be taken to allow any person, on request, to ascertain generally what sort of personal information is held, for what purpose, how it was collected, stored and used.
Accessibility of Information
Information held on an individual is accessible to them on request (except where frivolous and vexatious) and will generally be available free of charge. Reasonable steps will be taken to ensure the information provided is accurate and up to date.